Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Quick hop across the border into Holland...

...for some Dutch Frikandel. I often had one from my local Schnell Imbiss but unlike the German Frikadellen which is like a thick burger, the Frikandel is a 'skinless' sausage and often served on its own with curry ketchup and mayonnaise and topped with chopped raw onion, the Frikandel Speciaal.

Using a the recipe from this site I thought I'd give this one a try...


















End result was pretty good - the recipe made 10 8" long Frikandel.

Not possessing a Millecroquette to make the frikandels, once the mix had been well combined I lined a baking tray with greaseproof paper then spooned the mixture into it. After flattening it all out I divided it into strips of 11/4" wide and 8" long (across the shortest side of the tray).





Roll into sausage shape using some greaseproof paper

Then cooked per instructions in the bouillon

Set to one side before deep frying for a few minutes.


The end result - Frikandel Speciaal








































































If I have one 'criticism' it is that the method above doesn't produce the dense texture that I remember.

This is the Millecroquette which some sites suggest using to make the frikandel -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Millecroquettes.../dp/B004X8SDS6

No comments:

Post a Comment